Tuesday, November 25, 2014

RECIPE: Bacon Mac & Cheese

California hasn't had very many cold, rainy days this year, so when we do get one all I want to do is curl up on the couch, candles lit, a movie on, and a hearty comfort food on my plate. Macaroni and Cheese is my favorite comfort food by far. So I made it for the family but with a little twist. I added bacon! Normally my recipe doesn't call for bacon, but to celebrate a rare, rainy day I just went for it. This would be a great addition to your Thanksgiving spread this year too! (With or without the bacon)

Now for this I doubled the recipe to feed my family, and you can add as little or bunch of bacon as you wish!! 


You will need:
  • 4 TBSP unsalted butter
  • 4 TBSP flour
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Cayenne Pepper (optional)
  • 1 LB shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 2 1/2 c Milk (heated)
  • 1 LB macaroni (or faralle or rotini or penne whatever you have really.)
  • 1/2 c Panko crumbs (or bread crumbs)
  • 1 LB bacon, cooked
1) Preheat your oven to 375. Spray your cooking dish with nonstick spray. Get water boiling for pasta. 

2) Melt 4 TBSP butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and heat the milk in a separate pan. Stir in flour with butter to form a paste and let cook for 2 minutes. After milk is heated, pour into paste, add salt & pepper, and  stir, bring to boil. 


3) Add 1 1/2 c of cheddar cheese and stir till melted. (This is where you would add the cayenne pepper if you wish) 


4) Now for the bacon! Break the bacon into small bits then add into the cheese sauce. 


5) By now your pasta should be close to being cooked. (It doesn't have to be all the way cooked; it will cook a bit more in the oven.) Pour drained pasta into your baking dish then add the cheesy bacon sauce on top. Stir together so it is well mixed. 


6) Next top with cheese and add Panko crumbs. 


7) Finally we put it in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, uncovered, until top is golden and sauce is bubbling. 


Now eat up! I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with whoever you spend it with! I'm thankful for anyone who takes the time to read my blog, my wonderful family and friends, and of course, music. 

Happy Thanksgiving!!!


Thanks for reading!!
xoJess



Check out my previous post: November Love with Food Unboxing



Come hang out with me on social media! 





No comments:

Post a Comment