Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Recipe: Sweet Corn & Squash Fritters

I'm always on the hunt for vegetarian recipes that are delicious and when I found this one I was so excited to try it. Now I didn't stick exactly to the recipe. I believe in changing it up to make it your own which is exactly what I did. 

You can find the original recipe here

Let's get started!

 



First off we have our ingredients (I doubled the original recipe):




2 Ears of Corn
2-3 Yellow Squash (I used 2 in the recipe)
2 Zucchini 
1 Red Onion
1 Egg, beaten 
Fresh Basil
Fresh Cilantro
1/2c flour
Olive Oil 
1/2c Plain Greek Yogurt 
1 Avocado
Black Pepper
Sea Salt
1 Lemon or Lime



Step 1: Cut the corn off the stalks and put them into a large bowl



Step 2: Shred the squash and zucchini and chop the cilantro, basil, and red onions. 


Step 3: Add it all together and pour in your beaten egg


Step 4: Now since squash and zucchini are very watery the amount of flour you add in can vary. We are going to start off with 1/2c of flour


Step 5: If the batter is still too watery and not forming well add another tablespoon of flour, but no more than 1 cup of flour should be added to the batter. 


Step 6: After your batter is mixed well, you have to let it rest for 10. With this time we are going to make the avocado crema that will go on top of the fritters. 

Avocado Crema

Step 1: Dice the avocado and a few leaves of basil


Step 2: Scoop 1/2c of yogurt into your blender cup (I used a Magic Bullet but you can use a blender, food processor.) Add the basil and avocado then blend until creamy. Stick it in the fridge to keep cool until ready for use. 


Alright back to the fritters

Step 7: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. You'll want to use about 1/4c of batter for each fritter. Once you put the batter into the skillet, push down on it a bit to flatten it out. Cook 4-5 minutes until browned.


Then flip over and continue to cook for 4 more minutes. 


Step 8: Remove fritters from skillet and put them on a paper towel lined plate to help absorb any excess oil.


Step 9: Grab the avocado crema, put a dollop on a fritter, and ENJOY!!


I hope you all enjoyed this recipe, let me know if you try it and it you liked it as much as I did. I will definitely be making this one again. 


Thanks for reading!
xoJess


Check out my previous post: Breakfast Break 2



Come hang out with me on social media! 



No comments:

Post a Comment